“A wonderful bog adventure for my birthday guests. Warm reception, nature guide Signe’s captivating bog stories, great pictures and singing together. Many thanks to the Wanderlust team who is an awesome team!” – Eve Paas
“Great organization and a very dedicated team! I felt good and safe on the hike. The organizers took into account the wishes, needs and characteristics of each participant and made sure that everyone felt comfortable. Many thanks!” – Kertu
“We felt unique and special on the hike. Signe is a very warm and special guide!” – Enel
“So far in the bogs I had only walked on the boardwalks. To those who have enjoyed a bog on a boardwalk, I would like to say: “Do go on snowshoes. You will feel how the bog accepts you as one of its own!”” – Eha Remme
“Very pleasant change to ordinary hiking. A great guide, plenty of new knowledge. Varied capabilities of participants were taken into consideration.” – Helen ja Mait
“I will certainly recommend the hike to my children and friends.” – Anne
Video of a snowshoeing trip
Bogshoes are accessories that are attached to regular footwear to facilitate moving on soft ground. It makes no difference whether you are walking on a marsh, bog or snow, bogshoes make it easier to move and give you access to locations that would be inaccessible while wearing just hiking boots or rain boots.
For centuries, bogshoes have been used for hunting and crossing long distances. Bogshoes were crafted at the edge of a forest or a bog out of branches, tree roots or tree bark and tied to the foot. A bogshoe hike in a bog is a wonderful way to discover the Estonian wilderness, enjoy some fresh and clean air and get some exercise. Another thing that makes bogshoe hikes quite unique is the fact that they take place year-round and with any weather.
Wanderlust uses TSL 325 Initial BOA bogshoes that give the hiker a feeling of comfort and security.
Why these bogshoes?
- Their grip is excellent on any surface
- Sturdy and flexible frame
- Straps or the fastenings are easy to use while wearing gloves, freezing resistant and suit many different types of footwear
- Suitable for shoe sizes between 36-50
- Carrying capacity 50-120 kg
- Weight 1,8 kg
We mainly organize bogshoe hikes in the bogs of Lahemaa National Park and in the bogs and marshes of Põhja-Kõrvemaa. Hiking trails have different levels of difficulty and you can choose between trails that we have already worked out or propose a swamp or a bog in an area of your choosing.
We have selected a variety of beautiful hiking locations in Harju County to offer you unique experiences. Listed below are our own favourite bogs and marshes into which we organize hikes:
- Viru bog
- Kõnnu Suursoo
- Kakerdaja bog
- Aabla bog
- Hara bog
- different marshes and bogs in Põhja-Kõrvemaa
If you did not find a suitable route from this selection, contact us and we can work out together the best adventure for you!
For bogshoe hikes in Harju County, the price per participant is 35€ (price includes VAT). The minimum group size is 10 people. With fewer participants the minimum price of 350€ applies. If you wish to participate in a hike with a smaller group , you can also join one of our regular hikes that are described in more detail HERE.
The price includes:
- a bogshoe hike with a duration of 2,5-3 hours
- high-quality TSL 325 Initial BOA bogshoes
- trekking poles if necessary
- a tour guide sharing interesting stories about the wilderness and heritage
- juice or herbal tea and tasty snacks
The maximum group size is 30 people. If you wish to hike with a bigger group or with children under the age of 13, contact us!
For hikes outside of Harju County, proposed by you or of longer duration, we will make an individual price offer. Contact us and let’s create an awesome hiking experience together!
Level of difficulty and suitability
Participating in a bogshoe hike does not require excessive physical preparation but every participant must be aware of their capabilities and health condition. Most hikes are suitable for beginners. Bogshoes used by Wanderlust are suitable for adults and children from the age of 13. Our bogshoes are suitable for footwear sizes between 36-50 and their carrying capacity is 50-120 kg.
The minimum group size is 10 people. Do you want to come alone or with a friend? Sign up for one of our scheduled nature tours: VIEW THE TOUR CALENDAR!
We have some recommendations to assure the best experience:
– dress according to the weather forecast and your own comfort level
– layered clothing should be preferred so that you could remove or add layers as required
– we recommend wearing high-cut hiking boots or rain boots
Food and drinks:
– bring your bottle of water
– we also offer drinks and refreshing snacks during the hike
– we welcome children from the age of 13. Children attending the hikes must be accompanied by a parent or another adult
– spending time in the wilderness with your pet is a lot of fun but we ask you to find a sitter for your pet for the duration of the bogshoe hike